This policy is intended to ensure that the procedures used during the admissions process are consistently applied and are understood by all those involved. The admissions policy is reviewed annually.
The school academic year for all children starts in September at different dates according to each Key stage.
Deira Private School welcomes any interested families to apply for admission for their children in the Foundation Stages of Nursery to Reception through to Primary Years 1 – 6. Decisions for enrolment are made by the Admission Committee. First priority is given to siblings of DePS students. In making their decisions, the Admission Committee makes every effort to maintain a balance in our school, considering age, gender, learning abilities, and diversity.
The school is inclusive and has a learning support programme, addressing the individual needs of all students including special needs, gifted and talented and English Language Learners. Complete report of a child with special need must be submitted with the application. These might include IEPs (Individualised Education Plans) or reports from health professionals. In the case where a child’s specific need has not been previously identified, the school reserves the right to review the situation in order to assess the capacity to address his/her needs within their existing level of provision.
All applications, recommendations, interviews and visits must be completed and the necessary paperwork admitted prior to May 1 each year. Applications received after May 1 are added to the waiting list and considered if any new spaces become available.
Upon acceptance of Admission a non-refundable deposit is due to DePS immediately. The balance of tuition is due in three instalments.
- Parents visit and tour our school.
- An entrance evaluation test, either oral or written depending on the age of the child is conducted. See Admission and Registration procedure document.
- Parents will be informed of the results of the entrance evaluation within 2 to 3 days.
- A completed Application Form (accompanied by a non-refundable AED 500.00 fee and all necessary documentation required by the KHDA) is submitted to the Registration Officer.
- A place will be allocated only when all required documentation have been submitted.
- Parents interview with the Head of the School.
Our admission process is, by nature, a very personal one. We offer you the opportunity to see us up-close and to learn about our programme and our school family. We invite any interested family to visit our school, experience our programme first-hand, learn about our philosophy and submit an application. There are a limited number of openings each year in the Foundation Stage, Primary School and SEND department. We encourage families to begin the admission process early in the year and to take advantage of opportunities to learn more about our programme.
A Parent Handbook is available to guide parents through all areas of school life.
The school adheres to UAE Law and KHDA guidelines.
Foundation Stage Information
- Prospective parents meet with the Foundation Stage Coordinator, who will arrange for them to see the school at work, observe students in lessons, and talk to members of staff or invite them to the Annual Open Days.
- Parents will be required to fill in a confidential pupil entry profile along with any relevant medical details, and also submit any reports/information from previous schools or nurseries.
- On entering, children will be assessed in order to determine their individual stages of development and learning. These baseline assessments are conducted primarily through continual observation of the child.
- Parents are asked to disclose any such educational need or disability on the Registration form in order for the School SENCO and Curriculum Coordinators to assess its ability to fully support every student as appropriate. Parents are also asked to identify and record on the registration form if their child has a gift or talent.
- Costs for any additional specialist individual needs tuition will be borne by the parents.
All currently enrolled students are considered for re-admission during the winter and invited to reapply in January/February of each year. Applications for readmission and deposits are due March 1 each year. Siblings of currently enrolled students are invited to apply for admission in January, also. Priority is given to siblings applying to Foundation Stage. Students applying to any other grade level are given priority only on a space available basis. Applications for new students are always welcome.
Our policy is in line with the Federal Law 29 (2006) and Law no 2 (2014) regarding the education and outcomes of individuals with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
Special Educational Needs and Disability:
All placements are subject to availability of seats.
Applicants with Special Needs are assessed by the School’s SENCO. The file is then reviewed by the Principal who decides if the school is adequately equipped to meet the needs of the child. The Principal along with the SENCO discusses the matter with the parent and they come to an agreement with regard to the placement and accommodations required.
English Language Learning Support
ESL support is provided to students who require English Language Support. These applications are flagged by the admissions team for further evaluation by the Curriculum Coordinator / SENCO and the level of support required is determined. The final approval for admission is given by the Principal.
It is the responsibility of the Principal supported by other members of the school’s Senior Leadership Team to monitor the policy. It should be reviewed annually.
RELATED POLICIES AND DOCUMENTATION
- Registration Procedures.
- Inclusion Policy
|Date adopted / written||April 2010|
|Last reviewed||September 2017|
|Next review||July 2018|